Easy Homemade Coconut Milk
This special guest recipe comes to us from Jessie Friedman’s blog A Daring Soul. A mixed media artist from Massachusetts, Jessie is the painter behind the very cute owl-themed ”Happy Whoos” (see above). When she’s not painting, her creativity is channeled into baking and cooking healthy treats. Be sure to check out Jessie’s blog for more recipes, artwork, and stories from her joy-seeking journey! Big thanks to Jessie for sharing this super easy coconut milk recipe…
Homemade Coconut Milk Recipe
I love coconut milk! My only problem is that I can’t buy it from a brand that I trust. Most refrigerated cartons have way too many strange ingredients that just shouldn’t be in coconut milk and the cans are lined with BPA. So, what’s a coconut milk loving gal to do? Make her own! Let me tell you, it is super yummy! Better than any coconut milk you can possibly buy! Here’s the recipe…
• 2 cups organic unsweetened shredded coconut flakes (<–Mountain Rose Herbs’ is the best!)
• 2 cups hot (not boiling) water
• 2 cups water
• 1 teaspoon organic pure vanilla extract
• 2 tablespoons local honey
1. In a large bowl, soak the coconut in hot (not boiling) water for about 20 minutes.
2. Pour soaked coconut with its water, the remaining water, vanilla, and honey into the blender. Blend on high until mixed well.
3. In a large bowl, strain the liquid through a cheesecloth or nut milk bag. Compost the pulp.
4. Store milk in mason jars (my favorite!) and place them in the refrigerator. It should keep for about 3 days.
5. Serve and enjoy!
This coconut milk is delicious with a swirl of cinnamon and cayenne, matcha powder, cacao powder, poured in smoothies, or used to make spicy chai! Leave out the honey and vanilla if you want to try it in savory dishes, curries, soups, etc.